To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

ProM 6 running on x32 vs X64 Java

yhchan
edited November 2011 in ProM 6
Hi, I used the following config to run ProM 6/ProM 6 Package manager and I get confused with the correct java architecture to use.

Win 7 64 bit; Java version 1.6.0_29 (x32 and x64); ProM 6 installation: cross-platform.tar.gz

For x32 java, it failed to continue to load and requires force shutdown of Java VM. 
For x64 java, it run smoothly. 
When I use the same installation to run XESame with 32 bit java vm, it run smoothly.

As I'm peer studying ProM for my group and my other colleagues are still using 32 bit Windows, 
I need to know how to decide which architecture to use for running ProM 6.

Best Regards,
Yam Hon

Best Answer

• hverbeek
    Accepted Answer
    Dear Yam Hon,

This is caused by the fact that you initially ran ProM using a 64 bit version of Java. As a result, ProM has downloaded all packages in 64 bit, which include some native 64 bit libraries. These native libraries now prevent you from running it in 32 bit mode, as they simply will fail to load.

To get around this, please remove the entire .ProM61 folder from your home folder, which effectively removes all packages downloaded by ProM. Then start ProM using a 32 bit version of Java. Now it will download all packages in 32 bit. Note that as a result, you will not be able to run ProM using a 64 bit version of Java.

If you really want to use both version simultaneously, then you need to create two folders (say ProM6_32 and ProM6_64) and copy the ProM distribution to both folders. Now, open the ProM.ini files from both folders, and change the PROM_USER_FOLDER settings to different folders. Among other things, this settings controls where the downloaded packages will be stored. You can now start ProM using 32 bit Java from the ProM6_32 folder and using 64 bit from the ProM6_64 folder. As both will store and look for downloaded packages in different folders, they will not hamper each other.

Cheers,

Eric.

Answers