To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

conversion cnet-bpmn

lauraUnivpm
edited February 2014 in - Usage

Hi guys,

Do you know if exists some explicit mapping rules, or an already implemented plug-in, to convert a c-net in a bpmn notation? Thank you

Edit jbuijs: moved to different category

Best Answer

• JBuijs
    Accepted Answer

In this paper there is a mention of a ProM 6 plug-in:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-23217-6_3

which converts C-nets to Petri nets, and Petri nets can be translated to BPMN using the BPMNConversions package.

Hope this helps!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I will have a try with this plugin. Meanwhile, I've found a "BPMN Conversion" plugin which should be able to directly convert a C-Net to a BPMN. However I've tried it and there are some aspects of conversion that I cannot understand. One in particular: when I have a node with, let's suppose, two inputBindings (taking from the linked paper, {b,c}, {b,d}) I obtain a "OR" gateway. However, I dont' think it's correct. I mean, OR says to me that b,c,d can be executed, only one or together: but the semantic of the bindings tell me the b must be executed, only c and d are optional.Could yue help me to interpret such result?

Thank you very much, best regards.

Laura

• Dear Laura,

I'm not an expert but as far as I can see there are two options during the translation:

Use an OR if there is no clear pattern in the bindings. This is what you see happening.

Another option would be to explicitly model all possible bindings provided. Maybe the authors of the plug-in assumed this would get messy quickly and therefore went for the other alternative.

You can either contact the author of the package (Anna Kalenkova or Dirk Fahland), and/or change the implementation yourself.

Hope this helps!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Ok, I will do some other temptatives, maybe I'll contact the authors.

Thank you again, have a nice day

Laura