To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Process mining vs Sequence mining

Answers

• I had discussions last week with a PhD who has a long experience with sequence mining techniques. He does not see any interest in process discovery algorithms in comparison with sequence mining techniques. For him, sequence mining algorithms can discover process models as process discovery algorithms such as alpha, heuristic, fuzzy or genetic algorithms.

How can we answer to these kinds of arguments?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards.

• In case you have (access to) the Process mining book of Wil van der Aalst, then have a look at page 77 and further.

I'm not an expert on sequence mining but I guess the main difference is that sequence mining can not handle parallelism, while process mining/ process discovery can.
    But again, not sure!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Isn't it the case that sequence mining in general is more concerned with finding frequent sequences given some data source (e.g. database/log/stream etc.).

Given a set of sequences it is not trivial to translate these immediately into process models (apart from using paralellism or not).

Do you have any examples of algorithms this PhD is referring to?