To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Install trouble on Mac, 6.5.1 --- at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

armin999
edited August 2015 in - Usage

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to process mining and am trying to install ProM on either my work PC or private Mac, both aren't working too well so far...

On the Mac i have Java 8.60 installed (so says my safari browser). I downloaded the 'ProM 6.5.1 with bundle app' file from www.promtools.org and unzipped it. This gives a single 34.7MB application file.

Opening the file asks the question if i want to launch the Package Manager. Clicking Yes leads to an error. Any advice on dealing with this would be most appreciated!

The error details:

button returned:OKException in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/processmining/contexts/uitopia/packagemanager/PMFrame : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141) at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283) at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/processmining/contexts/uitopia/UI : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141) at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283) at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Answers

• Dear Armin,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles getting ProM 6.5.1. to work.

Could you check if the solutions provided in the following article work?

http://www.promtools.org/doku.php?id=troubleshooting:start

Please keep us updated!

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

Thanks. I followed the steps starting from "Running ProM 6.4.1 on a Mac", i'm assuming it's the same for 6.5.1.

My problem starts between step 5 and 6:

5. Select to launch the Package Manager.

6. The ProM 6.4.1 Package Manager now opens.....

It doesn't, i get the error message in my previous post. I don't see any additional information on the troubleshooting page that deals with this.

I'm running both the lates OSX (10.10) and Java (8.60) updates.

Cheers,

Armin

• Dear Armin,

Did you also follow the instructions for the "Unsupported major.minor version 51.0" error you mention? I was actually referring to this explanation.

The main idea is that you might have multiple Java versions installed and that ProM is using a version 6 or older, while it requires version 7 (or newer). Could you verify this by following the instructions mentioned on the troubleshooting page?

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Dear Joos,

Ah, i skipped that part, i'm afraid to say i went straight to Running on a Mac section...

I'm not really sure how to check for multiple Java versions on a Mac, so i did an uninstall following the instructions here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

According to the Java control panel in 'System Preferences' i no longer had Java installed after this. I reinstalled Java 8. Unfortunately this gave me the exact same major/minor error as before...

In the meantime though i've succesfully installed ProM on my work PC (yay!) so i'm going to use there and forget about the Mac install. 

I'm not sure this discussion helps anyone else on a Mac because the issue is unresolved, so feel free to delete it. I really appreciate your fast replies in this discussion though!

Right, i'm off to import some Log files.... :-)

Cheers,

Armin

• You're welcome Armin, and good to hear that 1 out of 2 installations succeeded.

Happy mining and I'll keep this thread for future reference.

Joos Buijs

• In summary, I am taking the Process Mining course on Coursea and have not been able to install ProM 6.5 onto my mac.

I have java installed on the mac
    I am using osx 10.11

I have downloaded the mac bundle zip file into a folder and opened it.  I then moved the ProM-6.5.1 file into my application folder and ran it.

A window appears indicating a problem :  osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition'/Library/ScriptingAddition/Adobe Unit Type.osax" cannot be used with the current OS because it has no OSAXHandlers intry in its Info.plist ....

Another window opens inviting me to launch the package manager

If I do not click on the "ok" regarding the package manager,  an additional message appears in the first window after a timeout period.

If I do click on the "ok" regarding the package manager, the additional message appears in the first window immediately.

I think someone should try the installation instructions.  The previous guy complaining of problems installing ProM onto a mac was not successful.  I think you have a process problem!

Jerry
  • Dear Jerry,

I understood from Eric Verbeek that your issues are resolved now.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.
    Joos Buijs