To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

How can I create a petri net with 100% precision?

ChrisC
edited April 2018 in - Usage
I have created a simple event log to test the ‘Mine Petri Net with Inductive Miner’ plug in.  The event log has the following four cases:
A, B, E, F
A, C, E, F
A, D, E, F
A, F

I would like to create a petri net with 100% precision, so I would expect the diagram to look something like this:

Instead the plug-in gives me the following diagram:

The silent transitions are creating additional states.  It appears that the plug-in is under-fitting the data.  The above petri net allows for cases which are not found in the event log (such as A, B, F and A, E, F).  I have tried adjusting the noise threshold in the plug-in settings but this does not solve the problem.  How can I create the desired petri net with 100% precision?  Thanks.

Answers

• Hi ChrisC,

The model discovered by Inductive Miner cannot guarantee a100% precision, and the noise threshold cannot help because all traces are observed only once.

I think you can add a silent transition on the bottom edge in your designed Petri net, which can get a 100% precision.
    Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • As ABC & E are always skipped together, this is a case that IM should be able to handle. I'll have a look...
    Sander Leemans
    Assistant Processor (Lecturer) at Queensland University of Technology
    Author of the visual Miner and Inductive Miner
  • sjjleemans
    edited April 2018
    Yup, that was a bug. It should have been fixed now, and appear in the Nightly build tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting! :)
    Sander Leemans
    Assistant Processor (Lecturer) at Queensland University of Technology
    Author of the visual Miner and Inductive Miner
  • ChrisC
    edited April 2018
    Thank you kfgz087 and sjjleemans for your responses.

After downloading the Nightly Build and using Version 6.8.462 of the InductiveMiner (was previously using 6.7.391), the ‘Mine Petri Net with Inductive Miner’ plug-in can now create the following petri net:

This diagram has perfect precision. Thank you sjjleemans for updating the plug-in.