Formed 1 October 1959 by merger of 1st Battalion The King's Own Royal Regiment and 1st Battalion The Border Regiment.
4th (Volunteer) Battalion The King's Own Royal Border Regiment
Formed 1 April 1975 with Headquarters at Alexandra Barracks, Lancaster with companies from Lancastrian Volunteers and Northumbrian Volunteers .
HQ Company at Lancaster.
A Company at Carlisle with Pltn at Workington by redesignation of 'A' Company 1st Battalion Lancastrian Volunteers.
B Company at Lancaster and Barrow-in-Furness by redesignation of 'E' Company 1st Battalion Lancastrian Volunteers.
C Company at Kendal by redesignation of 'B' Company Northumbrian Volunteers.
1984: 'E' (HSF) Company formed at Lancaster, Kendal and Carlisle.
1988: New 'D' Company formed at Workington from part 'A' Company; New 'B' Company formed at Kendal with detachment at Lancaster by amalgamation 'B' Company and 'C' Company; new 'C' Company formed at Barrow-in-Furness from detachment old 'B' Company.
1992: Battalion organised to three rifle company establishment.
'E' (HSF) Company disbanded May 1992.
'B' Company at Kendal and Lancaster disbanded September 1992, forming Mortar Pltn at Kendal.
By April 1995, Mortar Pltn withdrawn and replaced by Assault Pioneer Pltn.
1 July 1999: Battalion disbanded as result of the Strategic
'HQ' Company and 'C' Company amalgamated and 'A' Company and 'D' Company amalgamated to form 'A' Company and 'C' Company The Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers respectively.
Up to Infantry of the Line