teaching & mentoring
- Database technology (2IMW20): engineering foundations of data management systems, MSc level.
- 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010.
- Data engineering (2IMW10): data intensive systems for data science applications, MSc level.
- Data modeling and databases (2ID50): introduction to database systems, BSc level.
- 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009.
- MSc thesis seminar (2IMW00). 2016, 2015, 2013, and 2012.
at Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (Netherlands), Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia (Italy), Washington State University (USA), and Indiana University (USA):
- Linked and graph data (MSc/PhD), Web technology (BSc), Introduction to process modeling (BSc),
Data modeling and mining (BSc), Introduction to database systems (BSc), Contemporary data management problems (MSc),
Social semantic data management (MSc), C programming language for engineers (BSc),
Data structures (BSc), Fundamentals of computing theory (BSc), Database concepts (BSc),
Advanced database concepts (MSc), Discrete structures (BSc), Introduction to artificial intelligence (BSc).
PhD thesis (co-)advisor
PDEng thesis advisor
MSc thesis advisor
- Fariba Safari, 2017. The design and engineering of a unified data access layer: bridging data
consumers and diverse data sources.
BSc project advisor
- Giedo Mak, current. Graph query optimization strategies for localized path indexes. Collaboration with Birkbeck, Univ. London.
- Li Wang, 2017. On histograms for path selectivity estimation in graph data. Collaboration with Birkbeck, Univ. London, and Neo Technology.
- Stefano Antonio Martinelli, 2017. Query rewriting and stored queries for XACML policy enforcement.
- Wilco van Leeuwen, 2017. Improving data quality in schema-driven synthetic graph generation. Collaboration with Univ Lyon 1. EDBT'17 paper.
- Wouter Ligtenberg, 2017. Tink, a temporal graph analytics library for Apache Flink. thesis.
- Konstantinos Triantos, 2016. Human resources analytics at Viggo: warehousing solutions for CSV data. Collaboration with Viggo Eindhoven B.V. thesis.
- Mengqi Yang, 2016. A study of execution strategies for openCypher on Apache Flink. Collaboration with Neo Technology, Birkbeck - U London, and KTH Stockholm. thesis, open source code.
- Xuming Meng, 2016. Efficient regular path query evaluation in PGX. Collaboration with Oracle Labs. thesis.
- Lucien Valstar, 2016. Landmark indexing for scalable evaluation of label-constrained reachability queries. Collaboration with National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo. thesis, open source code, SIGMOD'17 paper.
- Edwin Hermkens, 2016. ESQLite: a relational database solution for JSON data with applications in mobile computing. Collaboration with PharmIT B.V. thesis.
- Nicky Advokaat, 2015. Benchmarking graph databases with gMark. Collaboration with INRIA Nord Europe, Univ Lyon 1, Univ of Oxford. thesis,
- Erik Agterdenbos, 2015. Structural indexing for accelerated join processing in relational databases. Collaboration with NU Singapore, UL Brussels, TU Delft. thesis,
- Flavius Butnariu, 2015. Schema mapping illustration using universal examples. Collaboration with U Modena. thesis.
- Max Sumrall, 2015. Path indexing for efficient path query processing in graph databases. Collaboration with Neo Technology, Birkbeck - U London. thesis, open source code.
- Jeroen Peters, 2015. Regular path query evaluation using path indexes. Collaboration with Birkbeck - U London. thesis,
- Simeon van der Steen, 2015. Peer-to-peer search over linked data in the research and education space. Collaboration with the BBC. thesis.
- Evans Boateng Owusu, 2014. Data source synchronization in cloud-based triple stores. Collaboration with Semaku B.V. thesis.
- Wouter van Heeswijk, 2014. Structure preserving graph sampling and methods for partitioning graphs. thesis,
open source code,
- Markus Maier, 2013. Towards a Big Data reference architecture. thesis.
- Chen Cai, 2013.
Design and implementation of a linked open data ontology repository,
with support for ontology comparison. Collaboration with Semmtech B.V. thesis.
- Yannick de Lange, 2013. MapReduce based algorithms for localized bisimulation. thesis,
- Bart Wolff, 2013. A framework for query optimization on value-based RDF indexes. thesis,
open source code, LWDM'15 paper.
- Ahmed Ibrahim, 2012. Containment queries on nested sets. thesis,
- John Roijackers, 2012. Bridging SQL and NoSQL. Collaboration with KlapperCompany B.V. thesis,
- Bas Luksenburg, 2012. Routing information and presentation. Collaboration with ASML N.V. thesis.
- Jelle Hellings, 2011. Bisimulation partitioning and partition maintenance on very large directed acyclic graphs.
thesis, open source code,
- Melle Boersma, 2011. A study of nested-relational joins in mediator-based distributed environments. Collaboration with Triple R IT B.V. thesis.
- Wouter Haffmans, 2011. A study of efficient RDFS entailment in external memory. thesis, open source code,
- Juston Morgan, 2010. Visual language for exploring massive RDF data sets.
- Peter Beck, 2008. Scalable indexing of RDF graphs (REU).
If you are a student interested in a thesis topic in data intensive systems, please feel free to get in touch.