- CAPA: Context-Aware Predictive Analytics (principal investigator, 2011-2015)
- HaCDAIS: Handling Concept Drift in Adaptive Information Systems (principal investigator, 2008-2012)
- GAF: Generic adaptation framework (co-promotor, 2008-2011)
- COMPASS: Complex Patterns in Streams (team member, 2009-2013)
- NL Agency CoDaK: Co-evolving Document collections & Knowledge structures (co-PI, 2011-2013)
- CurriM: Curriculum Mining (principal investigator, Mar - Oct, 2012)
- EIT ICT Labs: Health and Wellbeing Action Line (TU/e partner), Stress@work activity (co-PI, 2010-2013)
- NL Agency KWR MIP: Medical Information Processing, Philips Research and TU/e (RPM task leader, 2009-2010)
- EU FP7 STREP: GRAPPLE: Generic Responsive Adaptive Personalized Learning Environment (TU/e partner, team member, 2008-2011)
Collaboration with Industry
- Food Sales Prediction, Sligro B.V.
- Context-Aware Predictive Web Analytics, Adversitement B.V., Sanoma Media Netherlands, HWI Group, StudyPortals B.V., De Winter Media Groep, My Micro Group B.V.
- Remote Patient Management, Philips Research
- Health and Wellbeing, Philips Research, Human Capital Care
- Social Media Mining, Teezir B.V., Multiscope B.V., Adversitement B.V.
- Legal Information Retrieval, C-Content B.V.
- CFB Boilers Sensors Data Mining, VTT, Finland
Master Projects and Internships (ongoing)
- Master Projects
- Ioanna Sokoreli Motiva System Data analytics (Philips Research), expected in August 2013
- Bram Keijers Context-Aware Recommenders reference architecture (STW CAPA project, supervised together with Julia Kiseleva), expected in August 2013
- Erkin Demirtas Multilingual sentiment analysis with Machine translation, expected in August 2013
- Zheyi RongDistributed pattern mining (STW CAPA project, supervised together with dr. Jeroen De Knijf), expected in August 2013
Master Projects and Internships (completed)
- Master Projects
- Failure Prediction in Twin Scan Machines by Ajith Ganesan (ASML), August 2012
- Mining Multi Modal Data Sources for Stress-Awareness by Hindra Kurniawan, August 2012
- Identifying and Utilizing Contextual Information for Banner Scoring in Display Advertising by Vitaly Kliger (STW CAPA project supervised together with Jeroen De Knijf), October 2012
- Sentiment Analysis on Social Media for Online Market Research by Erik Tromp (Multiscope B.V.). Erik's thesis won two awards: the Best IT-thesis of the Netherlands 2011 granted by De Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen and Berenschot thesis award, July 2011.
- Utilizing Social Media Data for Search Engine Marketing by Murat Ongun (Adversitement B.V.), August 2011
- Context-Aware Advertisement in Online News Media by Agus Wiro Susilo (Adversitement B.V.), August 2011
- Towards Adaptive Retrieval and Recommendation of Higher Education Programmes by Thijs Putman, May 2010.
- Patient Modeling for Next Generation Remote Patient Management Systems: Heart Failure Hospitalization Prediction by Goran Manev
(1st advisor; together with A. Tesanovic, Philips Research), February 2010;
- Mining Food Wholesales Data by Priyan Vasanthapriyan
(1st advisor; together H. Jaspers from Sligro Foodgroup B.V.), February 2010;
- Educational Data and Process Mining by Wouter de Boer
(1st advisor; together with Wil van der Aalst), February 2010;
- Web Page Segmentation & Structure Analysis for Eliminating Nonrelevant Content by Samuel Louvan
(1st advisor; together with A. van Bunningen from Teezir B.V.), August 2009;
- Context-aware Recommender Systems by Mehmet Cubuk
(1st advisor; together with B. Nieme from Adversitement B.V.), August 2009;
- Cross Channel Self Service Usage Analysis by Guido Budziak
(1st advisor; together with B. Nieme from Adversitement B.V.), November 2008;
- Data Mining Approach for Decision Support in Stock Replenishments by Patrick Meulstee
(1st advisor; together with H. Jaspers from Sligro Foodgroup B.V.), November 2008;
- Automatic classification of Dutch legal documents by S.W. (Bas) Gijzen
(1st advisor; together with I. Sampurna from C-Content), June 2007;
- Tracking the Brain Selecting Internet Information: an Eye-Tracking Study on Evaluation Criteria by L.W. van Meeuwen
(3rd advisor; together with D.G Bouwhuis, Human Technology Interaction (TU/e) and S. Brand-Gruwel, Educational Technology Expertise Centre (Open University)), March 2008.
- Real time factor graph computational framework by Timur Bagautdinov
(together with Prof. Bert de Vries from Dept. Electrical Engineering), January 2013;
- Generic Framework for the Predictive Visualization of Project Management by Vincent van der Weele
(together with G. Budziak from Adversitement B.V.), February 2010;
- Market Basket Analysis of Food Wholesales Data by Priyan Vasanthapriyan
(together with Drs. ing. H. Jaspers from Sligro B.V.), April 2009;
- Predicting Studentsí Success and Drop Out by Gerben W. Dekker (EE Department of TU/e)
(together with Dr. J. Vleeshouwers, TU/e), April 2009;
- Development of a Technical Framework for Web Usage Analysis by Guido Budziak
(together with B. Nieme from Adversitement B.V.), March 2008.
Available projects and Job opportunities
We have filled all open PhD and Postdoc positions.
At this moment we do not offer summer internships.
We offer master and internship projects for TU/e students only.
If you plan to do your master project under my supervision, I highly recommend you to take Data Mining (2II15), Information Retrieval (2ID25), Web Information Sytems (2II35) courses and DH Information Systems Seminar (2ID95).
I welcome students who are interested in studying and applying in practice advanced machine learning, data mining, knowledge discovery, and information retrieval techniques.
We often have projects for different tastes. Whether you like developing new algorithms and techniques or designing and implementing intelligent systems or exploring large datasets, we should be able to find a suitable assignment for you.
If you have your own idea for the project or want to work on your own start up, we can also try to define a project with a right scope.
Got interested? Drop me an e-mail or talk to me during a lecture break if you attend one of the courses I currently teach.
- Remote patient management systems (Philips Research);
- Avatars for delivering tailored education and motivational support (Philips Research);
- Expert finding, opinion mining, trend analysis (Teezir B.V.); (some are listed here)
- Food wholesales/demand prediction (Sligro B.V.); (check here)
- Web analytics and web data mining (Adversitement B.V.);
- Adaptive search, text mining and information extraction in legal domains (C-Content B.V.);
- Educational data and process mining;
- Data mining for personalization;
- Context-awareness and learning in changing environments;
- Industrial sensor data mining (check here).
Last update: 19 November 2012.