IEEE CIS Task Force on Process Mining

Trace:


|

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

events:minutes_of_the_annual_meeting_ieee_task_force_on_process_mining_at_bpm_2018_in_sydney [2018/09/13 08:50]
hverbeek [(1) Overview of Activities and Developments in the Process Mining Space in 2017-2018]
events:minutes_of_the_annual_meeting_ieee_task_force_on_process_mining_at_bpm_2018_in_sydney [2018/09/17 08:42] (current)
hverbeek
Line 15: Line 15:
 The LinkedIn Group on PM ([[https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1915049]], managed by George Varvaressos) now has 7323 members. As was already mentioned previous year, TF members are encouraged to continue triggering discussions and sharing news, provide more case studies or war stories from users, and consider highlighting research outcomes interesting for a non-technical audience.  The LinkedIn Group on PM ([[https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1915049]], managed by George Varvaressos) now has 7323 members. As was already mentioned previous year, TF members are encouraged to continue triggering discussions and sharing news, provide more case studies or war stories from users, and consider highlighting research outcomes interesting for a non-technical audience. 
  
-//**[Action Point: All – Contribute to the LinkedIn Group on PM]**//+^  [Action Point: All – Contribute to the LinkedIn Group on PM]  ^
    
 The @processmining page at Facebook has 577 followers, mostly students and younger researchers. The level of activity seems limited.  The @processmining page at Facebook has 577 followers, mostly students and younger researchers. The level of activity seems limited. 
  
-//**[Action Point: Wil – Ask Joos Buijs and Dirk Fahland whether they want to continue.]**//+^  [Action Point: Wil – Ask Joos Buijs and Dirk Fahland whether they want to continue.]  ^
    
 The team in Hasselt created the process-mining.blog that should serve as a "meta blog". The idea is to link to existing blogs like [[https://fluxicon.com/blog/]], [[https://blog.celonis.com/]], etc. and to ensure a broad coverage. Currently, this is not yet the case.  The team in Hasselt created the process-mining.blog that should serve as a "meta blog". The idea is to link to existing blogs like [[https://fluxicon.com/blog/]], [[https://blog.celonis.com/]], etc. and to ensure a broad coverage. Currently, this is not yet the case. 
  
-//**[Action Point: All – Contribute to blog] **//+^  [Action Point: All – Contribute to blog]  ^
  
-//**[Action Point: Benoît Depaire – Ensure that it functions more like a “meta blog”, i.e., pointers to other blogs]**//+^  [Action Point: Benoît Depaire – Ensure that it functions more like a “meta blog”, i.e., pointers to other blogs]  ^
  
-//**[Action Point: Eric Verbeek – add pointer to blog and linked group on webpage]**//+^  [Action Point: Eric Verbeek – add pointer to blog and linked group on webpage]  ^
    
-A short overview of related and endorsed events was give, with special attention for the activities of the Scientific Research Community (SRC) (see slides and [[http://srcprocessmining.com|srcprocessmining.com]]).  +A short overview of related and endorsed events was give, with special attention for the activities of the Scientific Research Community (SRC) (see {{:events:ieee-taskforceonprocessmining-meeting-at-bpm2018.pdf|slides}} and [[http://srcprocessmining.com|srcprocessmining.com]]).  
    
 The various contests and the process mining camp have demonstrated to be important means to improve knowledge of process mining and contributed to the maturity of the field. The various contests and the process mining camp have demonstrated to be important means to improve knowledge of process mining and contributed to the maturity of the field.
    
-The new data sets were mentioned (see slides). It would be good to have a better geographic distribution of the data sets. +The new data sets were mentioned (see {{:events:ieee-taskforceonprocessmining-meeting-at-bpm2018.pdf|slides}}). It would be good to have a better geographic distribution of the data sets. 
  
-//**[Action Point: All – Share data sets, e.g., via 4TUdatacenter. Contact Boudewijn van Dongen for assistance if needed (but process is simple).]**//+^  [Action Point: All – Share data sets, e.g., via 4TUdatacenter. Contact Boudewijn van Dongen for assistance if needed (but process is simple).]  ^
    
 Several new case studies were added (thanks to Celonis and Fluxicon). Several new case studies were added (thanks to Celonis and Fluxicon).
  
-//**[Action Point: All – Share case studies and success stories. See [[http://www.win.tue.nl/ieeetfpm/doku.php?id=shared:process_mining_case_studies]] for examples]**// +^  [Action Point: All – Share case studies and success stories. See [[http://www.win.tue.nl/ieeetfpm/doku.php?id=shared:process_mining_case_studies]] for examples]  ^ 
    
-Two new books have been written (one for practitioners and one on conformance checking, see slides). New MOOC by Celonis is under development.+Two new books have been written (one for practitioners and one on conformance checking, see {{:events:ieee-taskforceonprocessmining-meeting-at-bpm2018.pdf|slides}}). New MOOC by Celonis is under development.
    
 Wil van der Aalst also showed the continued growing interest in process mining. Examples are the growing number of process mining papers, the Gartner Market Guide on Process Mining, the Unicorn status of Celonis, etc. Wil van der Aalst also showed the continued growing interest in process mining. Examples are the growing number of process mining papers, the Gartner Market Guide on Process Mining, the Unicorn status of Celonis, etc.
Line 48: Line 48:
 ===== (2) XES Standardization and Certification (Eric Verbeek) ===== ===== (2) XES Standardization and Certification (Eric Verbeek) =====
    
-In 2016, the IEEE Standards Association officially published the XES Standard as IEEE Std 1849TM-2016: IEEE Standard for eXtensible Event Stream (XES) for Achieving Interoperability in Event Logs and Event Streams. There is working group of 25 people. In 2018 two new extensions were introduced (software related, see slides). However, there was little activity on the tool certification front. In 2017, the XES WG accepted the XES Certification proposal distinguishing different levels of XES support for import and export. This was also supported by the Task Force. However, only two tools were certified. ProM 6.7 (Import A-D, X, Export A-D, X) and Celonis 4.2 (Import: A1-D1, Export: none). +In 2016, the IEEE Standards Association officially published the XES Standard as IEEE Std 1849TM-2016: IEEE Standard for eXtensible Event Stream (XES) for Achieving Interoperability in Event Logs and Event Streams. There is working group of 25 people. In 2018 two new extensions were introduced (software related, see {{:events:ieee-taskforceonprocessmining-meeting-at-bpm2018.pdf|slides}}). However, there was little activity on the tool certification front. In 2017, the XES WG accepted the XES Certification proposal distinguishing different levels of XES support for import and export. This was also supported by the Task Force. However, only two tools were certified. ProM 6.7 (Import A-D, X, Export A-D, X) and Celonis 4.2 (Import: A1-D1, Export: none). 
    
 See [[http://www.win.tue.nl/ieeetfpm/doku.php?id=shared:xeswg:certificates]] for the standardization process.  Key question is where are the other tools and vendors? Vendors and researchers tend to say that they support XES but seem to be afraid of the certification process. For the process mining market as a whole, it is vital to ensure consistency.  See [[http://www.win.tue.nl/ieeetfpm/doku.php?id=shared:xeswg:certificates]] for the standardization process.  Key question is where are the other tools and vendors? Vendors and researchers tend to say that they support XES but seem to be afraid of the certification process. For the process mining market as a whole, it is vital to ensure consistency. 
    
-//**[Action Point: All tool vendors/developers– Have your tool certified.]**//+^  [Action Point: All tool vendors/developers– Have your tool certified.]  ^
  
-//**[Action Point: Wil and Eric – Contact vendors again.]**//+^  [Action Point: Wil and Eric – Contact vendors again.]  ^
    
    
Line 71: Line 71:
 The goal is to keep BPI as a "regular" BPM workshop. There was some discussion about this. In later years, the distance between BPM/BPI and ICPM will be longer, making it likely that both events are not competing.  The goal is to keep BPI as a "regular" BPM workshop. There was some discussion about this. In later years, the distance between BPM/BPI and ICPM will be longer, making it likely that both events are not competing. 
  
-//**[Action Point: current BPI organizers – ensure a smooth transitions to the new style BPI workshop, i.e., select chairs and think about the governance in the new context involving the task force, BPM, and ICPM]**//+^  [Action Point: current BPI organizers – ensure a smooth transitions to the new style BPI workshop, i.e., select chairs and think about the governance in the new context involving the task force, BPM, and ICPM]  ^
    
 ==== Merger of ICPM and IEEE Task Force & Governance ==== ==== Merger of ICPM and IEEE Task Force & Governance ====
 The governance of ICPM is something that still needs to be addressed. This will be the main topics at the next meeting of the task force in Aachen. A steering committee and bylaws are needed.  The governance of ICPM is something that still needs to be addressed. This will be the main topics at the next meeting of the task force in Aachen. A steering committee and bylaws are needed. 
  
-//**[Action Point: Wil – propose a governance structure for ICPM and the task force]**//+^  [Action Point: Wil – propose a governance structure for ICPM and the task force]  ^
  
-//**[Action Point: Wil – organize a meeting to discuss proposal at ICPM in June 2019]**//+^  [Action Point: Wil – organize a meeting to discuss proposal at ICPM in June 2019]  ^
  
-//**[Action Point: All – provide input to Wil regarding the positioning of the task force and the conference, bylaws, steering committee, and attend meeting]**//+^  [Action Point: All – provide input to Wil regarding the positioning of the task force and the conference, bylaws, steering committee, and attend meeting]  ^
    
 ==== Additional events ==== ==== Additional events ====
Line 95: Line 95:
   * Jan Claes volunteered to co-organize the Doctoral Consortium.    * Jan Claes volunteered to co-organize the Doctoral Consortium. 
  
-//**[Action Point: Wil, Josep, Marcello, Mieke, and Boudewijn  – further develop and organize the activities discussed]**//+^  [Action Point: Wil, Josep, Marcello, Mieke, and Boudewijn  – further develop and organize the activities discussed]  ^
    
 ==== Timing in future years ==== ==== Timing in future years ====
Line 101: Line 101:
 The timing of the conference was discussed. The goal is not to compete with conferences like BPM. The goal is to have the conference late in the year (October-December) and a submission deadline in the period July-Sept. Submissions to organize the conference are welcomed.  The timing of the conference was discussed. The goal is not to compete with conferences like BPM. The goal is to have the conference late in the year (October-December) and a submission deadline in the period July-Sept. Submissions to organize the conference are welcomed. 
  
-//**[Action Point: All  – Submit proposals for organizing ICPM 2020]**//+^  [Action Point: All  – Submit proposals for organizing ICPM 2020]  ^
    
 As discussed it is vital that the Task Force and the scientific process mining community now supports the conference by submitting papers, participate, organize, etc. The motto is "Don’t ask what ICPM can do for you, but what you can do for ICPM." As discussed it is vital that the Task Force and the scientific process mining community now supports the conference by submitting papers, participate, organize, etc. The motto is "Don’t ask what ICPM can do for you, but what you can do for ICPM."