To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

XESame visualization

yhchan
edited November 2011 in - XESame
Hi,

Referring to the PDF document downloaded from http://www.promtools.org/prom6/downloads/prom-6.0-getting-started.pdf
The XESame have a tab page of "Visualization" at the Mapping view. (version 1.0) However, I can't find that page at Version 1.1

I used the cross-platform installer.
From the bundled java source java files, the package "org.processmining.mapper.ui.visualization" contains nothing. 
From the XESame11.jar file, there is no package "org.processmining.mapper.ui.visualization"

So, is there any reason why this "visualization" is removed? Can it be added back to the installation?

Best Regards,
Yam Hon

Best Answer

• JBuijs
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Yam Hon,

The visualization is indeed removed for several reasons:
    - storing the visualization layout in the mapping file used a lot of space (caused by using a layout library). Removing the layout all together improved performance
    - The layout was not readable for larger mappings/databases. Since you would use the visualization to get insights into large mappings this didn't work.

There is an outstanding master project to implement a new (and possibly interactive) visualization.

Although I like to hear that you see benefits of the visualization, I do not think that it will be added soon.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology

Answers