To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

How to select algorithms ?

rreyes
edited April 2015 in - Usage

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is some method or specifications to select the algorithms to be applied.
Of course depending on the type of process and / or to be obtained is relevant, but I would like something a little more specific.

Also I would appreciate any bibliography related.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• JBuijs
    Accepted Answer

Dear 'rreyes',

This is an interesting question.

First of all, by knowing the algorithms and their characteristics you can of course select an appropriate algorithm, based both on the event log and your requirements and purpose for the output process model.

In addition, here is some related research which might help:

vanden Broucke, Seppe, De Weerdt, Jochen, Baesens, Bart, & Vanthienen, Jan (2013) A Comprehensive Benchmarking Framework (CoBeFra) for conformance analysis between procedural process models and event logs in ProM. In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Data Mining (CIDM 2013), part of the IEEE Symposium Series in Computational Intelligence 2013, IEEE, Grand Copthorne Hotel, Singapore, pp. 254-261.

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/57682/

AND

Uncovering the Relationship Between Event Log Characteristics and Process Discovery
    Techniques
    Seppe K.L.M. vanden Broucke, C´edric Delvaux, Jo˜ao Freitas,Taisiia Rogova, Jan Vanthienen, and Bart Baesens

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-06257-0_4#page-1

I hope this helps

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology

Answers

• Thanks, i was expecting the answer, i´m going to check your suggestion.

Regina