To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Nothing happens when running Discovery of the process data-flow (decision-tree miner)

fordanic
edited January 2015 in ProM 6

When I try to run the plugin Discovery of the process data-flow (decision-tree miner) in ProM 6.4.1 using either version available, I click Start and then click Continue I will just come back to the Use Resource view. Any suggestions as to why this happens?

Thanks,

Daniel

Answers

• Dear Daniel,

This problem seems to be related to visualizing the discovered Data Petri Net.

However, this indicates that you were able to start the plug-in and the mining of the guards (for instance, by setting the different parameters). When the decision miner finishes, ProM tries to visualize the resultng Data Petri Net. And it's there where the problem arises.

Is that the case? Do you see the configuration parameters and does the plug-in seem to start mining the guards?

Do you use Java 1.7? If you use Java 1.7 and the plug-in starts mining the guards and it fails when visualizing the result, there is high chance that the visualization fails if the resulting data Petri nets has too many transitions or variables. Indeed, the layouting algorithm of ProM seems to have issues when many objects need to be visualized and Java 1.7 is used.

So, if you use Java 1.7, you may consider the possibility of starting Java also using the following option:

-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

To add this option, you should open the ProM641.l4j.ini through an editor and concatenate the string above to what is already present in the file.

Similarly, if not present, you should also insert that string in the file ProM641.bat before "org.processmining.contexts.uitopia.UI"

I hope that this answer may help you to solve the issue. Otherwise, feel free to contact me personally by email and share the dataset with me so that I can clearly reproduce the problem

Best Regards,

Dr. Massimiliano de Leoni

Assistant Professor of Information Systems
    Eindhoven University of Technology 

• I'm running Java 8 update 31 (64-bit)
    The option -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true was already set in my ProM641.bat file.
    As you, it seem to do the data processing but it's when it's time to visualize the final results that something happens.
    I've tried using a Petri net with fairly few transitions but the problem seem to persist.
    Will remove some of the content in my data and send to you on email. Will take a few days though before I've time to do that.