To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Difficulties in presenting process mining results

erikgielstra
edited September 2015 in Research
Hello,

Reading several case studies on process mining has lead me to wonder how its results should be presented. It is very difficult to illustrate the applicability of process mining in a paper. Various researchers (e.g. Bozkaya, Gabriels & Werf, 2009) acknowledge this problem. A static presentation of process mining does not fully capture the essence of the diagnostics, yet incorporating too much illustrations would take away from the key points in the paper. This topic should serve as a discussion for the future of presenting results obtained from process mining.

Comments

• Dear Erik,

There is no definitive best way of presenting process mining results. My suggestion would be to create a powerpoint with the most interesting observation(s), and present this. At the same time, you should be able to during the presentation show the evidence, for instance in ProM or Disco, to convince the domain experts that your results are valid.

What is your opinion on this approach/suggestion?
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hello Joos,

Thank you for your response. The method that you describe of presenting the results is the partly the method I initially had in mind. Alternating between Powerpoint and the tool in use should be able to further clarify the results.