To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Apply Process Mining on Event Logs generated through simulation

I know some organizations don´t have a good Technology and the quality of the data is not the appropriate, then is not possible get Event Log Files in easy way, but is possible do a BPMN model about some process.
Thus, I want apply Process Mining on Event Logs generated by the simulation of BPMN Models in organizations that are so difficult to extract data.

Then, is possible apply Process Mining using simulated event logs, is possible to do Conformance Checking?? and which software is more suitable for generating that simulated event logs??

Comments

• (Taken from a similar discussion in the Process Mining MOOC, registration required:
    https://class.coursera.org/procmin-003/forum/thread?thread_id=24)

One important note however: if you apply process mining on simulated data you will find what you put in. E.g. if you simulate a process model and then do discovery, you will likely find the process model you put in.
    The real power of process mining is to give insights into real process executions.

Most organizations do record some event data, even if of low quality. Analysing this (low quality) data will still give insights and will motivate the organisation to improve their event data recording to allow for more insightful process mining analysis.

---

This means that conformance checking is of not much value of simulated data :)

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology