To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Process Mining in news website

Hi everyone.

I have log files from some popular news website from Norway. I want to apply process mining approach on this log file. I see the data contains some fields like time stamp, devices it is from, browser, eventId, news url .

I am still confused how process mining can be used to analyze this data to prove useful for business intelligence. Any suggestions or further hints would be great.

thanks
Suresh

Suresh Kumar Mukhiya
www.skmukhiya.com.np

Comments

• Dear 'dr.code'skm',

I would suggest to read up on process mining basics first to get an idea what you can do with your data.
    See also
    http://www.win.tue.nl/promforum/discussion/12/where-to-find-what

Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Dear JBuijs,

Thanks for reply. I am indeed reading process mining book and looking at archived course at coursera.

Yet, I really dont see any research done for using process mining for news website. I wanted to get some suggestions for what type of data can be mined from these logs. In news website, there is hardly any process, users read the news articles and then goes to another articles and so on. Will these logs be of any use?

Or to be specific, can process mining be useful in this case?
    Suresh Kumar Mukhiya
    www.skmukhiya.com.np
  • Hi,

I believe process mining has been applied to web logs before, and I remember reading of a case study or two even (maybe on the Fluxicon blog?). I'm not sure though.

In any way, you will have a case of a spaghetti process so might want to read the book section on this type of process on how to handle this.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Thank you JBuijs, for prompt reply. I am doing so. If you get any reference  for any work for media site, please do post it.

Thanks again.
    Suresh Kumar Mukhiya
    www.skmukhiya.com.np