To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Inductive visual Miner: Sejourn time

Hello every body,

Can you explain to me the meaning of the sojourn time displayed by the Inductive Visual Miner.

For instance , sojourn time for check system is 11 : 52 : it means that the demand takes in average 11 minutes to go from the state register to the state check system ? or it means that a demand stays in the state check system in average 11 minutes ?

The sojourn time of accept is 4:09 : it means in average, it takes 4 minutes for a demand to go from the previous states to the state accept or reject ? or it means , a demand stays in the state accept in average 4 minutes ?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Comments

• Sojourn time is the time between completion of the previous sequential activity and the completion of the current activity.
    For instance, if we have a trace A+start, A+complete, B+start, B+complete and A and B are sequential in the model, then the sojourn time of B is the time between A+complete and B+complete. The reported sojourn time for B is the average sojourn time over all traces.

In your screenshot, the sojourn time for 'check system' is 11:52, which means that on average, it took traces 11 minutes and 52 seconds between completion of 'register application' and the completion of 'check system'. This includes waiting and executing 'check system'.

The sojourn time of 'accept' is a bit over 4 minutes, which means that on average, traces took 4 minutes between completion of all 'check credit', 'check capacity' and 'check system' and the completion of 'accept'.

Hope this helps. This concept is formalised in the following paper: http://www.processmining.org/_media/blogs/pub2015/bpm-ws15_submission_52.pdf

Sander Leemans
    Assistant Processor (Lecturer) at Queensland University of Technology
    Author of the visual Miner and Inductive Miner
  • Hello,

Thank your for this clear explication.

Best regards.