To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

How to determine there is a queue for an activity?

Hi

If there is an activity executed by a resource, how to tell this resource has a queue for this activity? for example, the resource is working on one item, another item is just done with processing from the previous activity and therefore waiting for this resource to be free.

In other words, can I tell there is a queue from the log by looking at event attributes such as complete time? Please help

Comments

• Hi lzha174,

I think you can replay the log on the model to see the perpformance on the time perspective. More precisely, you can see the waiting time before the activity. If the waiting time is not zero, it indicates this resource has a queue for this activity.

Guangming Li
    PhD student in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi,

I think Guangming's suggestion is the best 'out of the box' solution possible. Note that the inductive miner can also display the queue size etc. for activities.
    Do note however that this is under the assumption that an activity can be executed as soon as the previous activity completed.

Hope this helps!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology