To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Generate / synthesize security-oriented event logs (with SecSy)

Hi,

I am currently working on my masters thesis on Process Mining in terms of auditing. As a part of my thesis I would like to synthesize a security-oriented event log and examine this log using Disco.
During my research I found a tool called http://doku.telematik.uni-freiburg.de/secsy SecSy and it seems like that is exactly what I need to realize my idea. With SecSy it should be possible to generate event logs containing instances in which particular controls are randomly violated.
So far I configured SecSy in a minimal setting to test it. Now it seems like the
re is something wrong with the petri net I created using the process in BPMN as a template.
Unfortunately I have got no eperience at all with petri nets and just little experience with BPMN models. Did someone of you use SecSy and could help me a little? Or does somebody have got knowledge about BPMN and petri nets as well and could have a look at how I translated the model? Maybe I've transformed some of it wrong.

Best regards

Alex

Comments

• Hi Alex,

Great find!

Did you already try to contact the creators of the SecSy tool directly?
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

thanks. I already tried to contact the creators but I didn't get any answer. The two main creators left the university and aren't reachable anymore. I also contacted the support email address of the project but didn't get any answer as well.
    Nevertheless I somehow managed to transform my BPMN model into a petri net and it seems to work so far.
    I'll let you know if I'll have managed to create an security-oriented event log using SecSy. Maybe this could be of advantage to other students or rather researchers reading this forum.
  • Thanks for giving back to the community Alex!
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Joos,

unfortunately I am still struggling with SecSy. There are countless bugs and it seems to be too much effort to fix all this just to generate data to use in my master thesis.
    Do you know a comparable tool for event log generation? I think one of the advantages of SecSy is that it's possible to enter control constraints like SoD or BoD and SecSy generates cases in which this constraints are either enforced or violated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Alex
  • Hi Alex,

Have a look at our previous discussion. It may help.
    http://www.win.tue.nl/promforum/discussion/comment/2052/#Comment_2052

Good Luck,
    Cong