To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Model to Model comparison using ProM

Hello Everyone,

Currently, I need to compare a discovered process(Petri) model with an already existing Petri model using ProM.
Can anyone suggest me ProM plugin which provides a model to model comparison for analysis?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi, I have forwarded you question to my colleagure who is more familar with model comparison.
  • Hi Prasad, (I'm not the colleague Cong Liu refers to but I have 2 cents to add :)) I would recommend not comparing two process models. Both, or at least one, have been discovered from data, with some abstractions/assumptions applied. I would recommend to apply the 'replay' plugin from Adriansyah et al. (also known as alignments or conformance checking). This replays the event data over your process model and indicates where deviations exist. Usually this gives a more robust and detailed insight in the deviations.
    Joos Buijs

Senior Data Scientist and process mining expert at APG (Dutch pension fund executor).
    Previously Assistant Professor in Process Mining at Eindhoven University of Technology
  • Hi Prasad:

Comparing process models (e.g., Petri nets) is possible, but I can only recommend it when such process models represent a designed or normative behavior.

If you are discovering models, such model comparison would be heavily affected by the discovery algorithm that you use, and its representational biases.

If you want to compare the processes themselves while removing the discovery algorithm's representational bias, I recommend that you do an event log - to - event log comparison.

There are many alternatives for doing this. You can take a look at one of my papers to read a bit more about process comparison, and you can use the freely-available techniques that I developed for it.

You can find the paper here: 
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306437916305257

Cheers,

Alfredo.
  • Thank you Cong Liu, JBuijs, and Alfredo, I will follow your suggestions!

cheers!

• Hi Alfredo,
    I read your paper it's great, congratulations!!

But i did not find in ProM 6.7 and lite 1.2 the plugin (Process Comparator) that you implement for it.

where can I find?

Thanks!

Rosângela