To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Not sound petri net with Heuristic Miner

I'm developing an application based on ProM features importing the needed jars. I'm trying to mine a Petri Net with the Heuristic Miner: first I mine the HeuristicNet using the class HeuristicsMiner and than I use HeuristicsNetToPetriNetConverter to obtain the Petri Net. Often the obtained Petri Net is not sound: it has not start and end places. This result does not depend from the log because using the "Interactive Data-aware Heuristic Miner" from ProM UI I obtain a sound Petri Net. 
What I am doing wrong? Some tips?

Comments

• Hi,

Most likely, you're not doing anything wrong, but the Heuristics Miner does. The implementation of the default Heuristics Miner has issues, which may lead to unsound nets. If possible, please use the Interactive Data-aware Heuristic Miner, which does not have these issues.

The Heuristics Miner from ProM 5.2 also does not have these issues.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

• hverbeek said:
    Hi,

Most likely, you're not doing anything wrong, but the Heuristics Miner does. The implementation of the default Heuristics Miner has issues, which may lead to unsound nets. If possible, please use the Interactive Data-aware Heuristic Miner, which does not have these issues.

The Heuristics Miner from ProM 5.2 also does not have these issues.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

Thank you Eric, you are right. Using other plugins all work as expected.
  • Hello @hverbeek, I am using ProM-Lite-1.2 and apparently, it does not have the older version Heuristic Miner plugin. Why was this taken out in the new PromLite version? 
  • Is it possible to transfer or include the Heuristic Miner (from ProM 5.2) to PromLite 1.2 version? If yes, kindly advise how to go about it please. Thanks much.
  • Hi,

That's correct. The older version of the Heuristics Miner was replaced because it had problems. Some discovered were simply incorrect. The Heuristics Miner from ProM 5.2 did not have these problems, they were introduced later on.

We recommend to use the Interactive Data-aware Heuristics Miner instead, as this laos does not have these problems. You can find this plug-in in the DataAwareCNetMiner package.

Kind regards,
    Eric.