To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

Conformance Checking - Compare process model

Using Conformance Checking I would like to understand how I can input the process model which will then be used as a comparison for the event logs that I have to analyze?

Thanks

Answers

• Hi,

For conformance checking you need both a process model (a Petri net) and an event log. You can import the process model and the event logs into the ProM workspace, and then run the conformance checker for every combination of process model and event log. To do so, select both the event log and the process model in the ProM workspace, and then select the action button. This brings you to the action view with both the event log and the process model selected as input for the plugin you want to run.

As an alternative, you could select only, say, the event log, then select the plugin you want to run on the event log, and then select the process model as the required second input. After you select the plugin, placeholder will be shown to indicate which inputs are required by the plugin, you can select a placeholder to provide an actual object for it.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • Thanks for your answer.
    Actually, I already follow the steps you have shown me.
    But I wanted to understand how does Conformance Checking understand from the event log input what are the critical issues? So in case you only have one trace how do you find the critical points?

Or am I wrong and to achieve this I don't have to use Conformance Checking?

Thanks
  • Hi,

Conformance checking shows the optimal mismatches between the process model and the event log. These mismatches are optimal in the sense that no other mismatches have less costs than the optimal mismatches.

I guess from a single trace, there is not much to tell. However, if you have many traces, and the same activity is often considered as a mismatch, than this activity could be a critical point.

But, of course, this also depends on your definition of a critical point.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

• Thanks hverbeek, your answers have been very useful and clear.

If instead my goal was to compare the process model defined in the design / development phase with the process that instead I find in the production environment which algorithm could I use? Is there any solution where I input a "static" process model that would be the one defined in the requisition and design phase and compare it with the various process runs in the production environment? So to go find what are the discrepancies between what was defined at the beginning and what is happening in the production environment?

I hope I explained myself :)

thank you very much