To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

CSV Parsing Error

Hi to everyone,

I am trying to read a CSV file (with almost 01 million rows) in ProM 6.10 and getting message CSV parsing error (Image attached for reference).

In error message there is a hint to increase maximum number of columns, how to increase number of columns (as there is no setting/writing code option in ProM)? If it is for Java/JVM where to find that option? 

Thanx in advance.. 

Comments

• HI,

Does your CSV file have more than 512 columns?

This setting would need to be changed in the Java sources of the importer. You cannot change this in ProM. The import plugin in ProM 6.10 is restricted to reading a CSV file containing maximal 512 columns.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • Thank you for response.

Yes my CSV file data exceeds 512 columns. Any solution for this problem?

I have original event log in sequence file and I convert .seq into .CSV. 

Sequence example is;

seq1: 2 1
    seq2: 1
    seq3: 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
    seq4: 6

If I use DISCO to change row data in column and consider each sequence as single case then I can resolve exceed column issue but the problem is it looks like manual work and will take time (01 million rows/ 01 million cases).  
  • Hi,

For seq3, would you get a row containing 9 columns ("seq3,2,3,3,3,3,3,3")?

I guess that a sequence is a case, and that every number corresponds to an activity, but I do not see how this would result in many columns, as every event (every number) should be on its own row, like:

case id,concept:name
    seq1,2
    seq1,1
    seq2,1
    seq3,2
    seq3,3

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • hverbeek said:
    Hi,

For seq3, would you get a row containing 9 columns ("seq3,2,3,3,3,3,3,3")?

I guess that a sequence is a case, and that every number corresponds to an activity, but I do not see how this would result in many columns, as every event (every number) should be on its own row, like:

seq1,2
    seq1,1
    seq2,1
    seq3,2
    seq3,3

Kind regards,
    Eric.
    Yes I am considering the same as you wrote, like;

seq1,2
    seq1,1
    seq2,1
    seq3,2
    seq3,3 
    seq3,3
    seq3,3

for sequence 3 (or any sequence) each number represents a single column) sequence 3 has 8 columns.

That means ProM can't handle data if column exceeds 512?  
  • Hi,

The CSV parser in ProM cannot handle rows containing more than 512 columns. I do not know whether there is also a limit for the number of rows.

I think the importers assumes that every event is on its own row. If I understand it correctly, you now have every case on its own row, and if a case has more than 512 events, the parser fails.

Kind regards,
    Eric.
  • Alright.

Thank you  :)