To prevent spam users, you can only post on this forum after registration, which is by invitation. If you want to post on the forum, please send me a mail (h DOT m DOT w DOT verbeek AT tue DOT nl) and I'll send you an invitation in return for an account.

BPMN simulation tool

Hi,
I need to generate event log for BPMN model simulation with sub process. I found a tool plg2 that can simulate BPMN model, but this tool can't handle BPMN with or gateway and sub process. I haven't found a suitable tool for a long time. Can you recommend some tool m that can generate event log for BPMN simulation? thank you.

Comments

• I found another simulation tool, Gena, but there was an error 'unknown gateway type' when processing with or gateway. Is it a problem with my drawing or can't Gena handle BPMN with or gateway?
  • Hi Ashley,

As far as I understand one of the papers on Gena (see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1569190X17300047?via=ihub), Gena only allows for the exclusive (XOR) and parallel (AND) gateways. There were plans to extend this set of supported gateways, but this may have never happened.

I have forwarded your first question to the person leading the development of BPMN-related plugins in ProM: Anna Kalenkova. As it seems, she also contributed to Gena. I hope she can help you better than I can on this.

Kind regards,
    Eric.

• Hi Eric,
    Thank you for your reply.
  • Hi Ashley,
    thank you for your interest in BPMN log generators!

Answering your questions:
    1) In Gena, OR gateways are not supported, subprocesses are supported though.

2) In ProM there is a plugin "Translate BPMN to Petri net".
    This plugin can handle OR gateways but does not totally preserve their semantics.
    You can try to retrieve a Petri net and then use ProM techniques to simulate it.

Kind regards, Anna

• Hi Ashley,
    thank you for your interest in BPMN log generators!

Answering your questions:
    1) In Gena, OR gateways are not supported, subprocesses are supported though.

2) In ProM there is a plugin "Translate BPMN to Petri net".
    This plugin can handle OR gateways but does not totally preserve their semantics.
    You can try to retrieve a Petri net and then use ProM techniques to simulate it.

Kind regards, Anna

Hi Anna,
    Thank you for your reply.I also consider transforming BPMN model with OR-gataways into Petri net, but the event log generated by the transformed Petri net simulation can not be completely replaced. I am considering how to reduce the impact of model transformation.
    Thanks again.