teaching & mentoring
- Data modeling and databases (2ID50), BSc level.
- Knowledge engineering (2AMD20), MSc level.
- MSc thesis seminar (2IMD00).
Introduction to artificial intelligence (BSc),
Data structures (BSc), Fundamentals of computing theory (BSc),
Big data management (MSc),
Engineering data-intensive systems (MSc),
Linked and graph data (MSc/PhD),
Web technology (BSc), Introduction to process modeling (BSc),
Data modeling and mining (BSc), Introduction to database systems (BSc), Contemporary data management problems (MSc),
Social semantic data management (MSc), Database concepts (BSc),
Advanced database concepts (MSc), C programming for engineers (BSc), Discrete structures (BSc).
PhD thesis (co-)advisor/(co-)promoter
PDEng thesis advisor
- Ziwei Jin, 2022–current.
- Daphne Miedema, 2019–current.
- Thomas Mulder, 2019–current.
- Larissa Shimomura, 2019–current.
- Hamid Shahrivari Joghan, 2019–current.
- Wilco van Leeuwen, 2017–current.
- Kaijie Zhu, defended 2021.
On efficient temporal subgraph query processing.
- Yulong Pei, defended 2020 (cum laude).
On local and global graph structure mining.
- Anil Yaman, defended 2019.
Evolution of biologically inspired learning in artificial neural networks.
- Jianpeng Zhang, defended 2018.
On graph sample clustering.
- Alejandro Montes García, defended 2017.
WiBAF: a within-browser adaptation framework that enables control over privacy.
- Yongming Luo, defended 2015.
Designing algorithms for big graph datasets: a study of computing bisimulation and joins.
MSc thesis advisor
- Bulgaa Enkhtaivan, 2018. Data integration platform for precision agriculture.
- Fariba Safari, 2017. The design and engineering of a unified data access layer: bridging data
consumers and diverse data sources.
BSc project advisor
- Bram Wieringa, 2022. Semantic zooming for property graph schemas. Collaboration with Giuseppe Liotta and Fabrizio Montecchiani, University of Perugia.
- Ewout Gelling, 2022. Bridging graph data models: RDF, RDF-Star, and property graphs as directed acyclic graphs. Coadvised with Michael Schmidt, Amazon, USA.
- David Tuin, 2022. A semantics-aware conjunctive query metric. Coadvised with Aida Abiad Monge.
- Nimo Beeren, 2022. Formal specification and practical validation of property graph schemas. thesis.
- Rik Maas, 2022. Incremental view maintenance for Assemble by Anago.
- Alex Odynchuk, 2022. Identifying and visualizing scoping syntax errors in SQL. Coadvised with Daphne Miedema.
- Leonardo Mathon, 2022. Increasing awareness of SQL anti-patterns for novices. Coadvised with Daphne Miedema. Results presented at ICER 2022, open source code repo.
- Jeroen Besems, 2022. Finding SQL Misconceptions on Stack Overflow. Coadvised with Daphne Miedema.
- Olof Morra, 2022. Optimization of Answer Graphs for Acyclic Conjunctive Query Evaluation. Collaboration with Amazon, USA (Neptune team). thesis.
- Daniel Teixeira Militao, 2022. Size-estimation of transitive closure and reachability in graph data. Collaboration with Amazon, USA (Neptune team). thesis.
- Luc Donders, 2021. Experimental study on scaling LCR indexes to thousands of labels. Collaboration with NTU Singapore.
- Xue Lei, 2021. Property graph schema extraction. Collaboration with Google. thesis.
- Jamiro Leander, 2020. Automated translation of event data from relational to graph databases. Coadvised with Dirk Fahland. code repo 1, code repo 2.
- Chris Lahaye, 2020. Towards efficient validation of RDF graphs against recursive SHACL. Collaboration with Amazon Neptune. thesis.
- Jochem Kuijpers, 2020. Path indexing in the Cypher query pipeline. Collaboration with Neo4j. thesis.
- Daphne Miedema, 2019. Towards successful interaction between Humans and Databases. thesis. 2nd place PhD poster at Alice & Eve 2020.
- Radu Stoica, 2019. R2PG-DM: A direct mapping from relational databases to property graphs.
Collaboration with data.world. AMW 2019 paper,
open source code.
- Niels de Jong, 2019. MAGPIE (a Maintainable Graph Pattern Indexing Engine): Towards a versatile path index for the industrial graph database. Collaboration with Neo4j. thesis
- Xin Ma, 2018. A streaming graph library for Apache Flink. Collaboration with ING Bank. thesis
- Xiayang Hao, 2018. Intermediate result compression of processing query on graph data. thesis
- Giedo Mak, 2017. Telepath: A path-index based graph database engine. Collaboration with Birkbeck, Univ. London. thesis, open source code.
- Li Wang, 2017. On histograms for path selectivity estimation in graph data. Collaboration with Birkbeck, Univ. London, and Neo Technology. thesis, EDBT'18 paper.
- Stefano Antonio Martinelli, 2017. Query rewriting and stored queries for XACML policy enforcement. thesis.
- Wilco van Leeuwen, 2017. Improving data quality in schema-driven synthetic graph generation. Collaboration with Univ Lyon 1. thesis, EDBT'17 paper.
- Wouter Ligtenberg, 2017. Tink, a temporal graph analytics library for Apache Flink. thesis, WWW'18 paper.
- Konstantinos Triantos, 2016. Human resources analytics at Viggo: warehousing solutions for CSV data. Collaboration with Viggo Eindhoven B.V. thesis.
- Mengqi Yang, 2016. A study of execution strategies for openCypher on Apache Flink. Collaboration with Neo Technology, Birkbeck - U London, and KTH Stockholm. thesis, open source code.
- Xuming Meng, 2016. Efficient regular path query evaluation in PGX. Collaboration with Oracle Labs. thesis.
- Lucien Valstar, 2016. Landmark indexing for scalable evaluation of label-constrained reachability queries. Collaboration with National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo. thesis, open source code, SIGMOD'17 paper.
- Edwin Hermkens, 2016. ESQLite: a relational database solution for JSON data with applications in mobile computing. Collaboration with PharmIT B.V. thesis.
- Nicky Advokaat, 2015. Benchmarking graph databases with gMark. Collaboration with INRIA Nord Europe, Univ Lyon 1, Univ of Oxford. thesis,
- Erik Agterdenbos, 2015. Structural indexing for accelerated join processing in relational databases. Collaboration with NU Singapore, UL Brussels, TU Delft. thesis,
- Flavius Butnariu, 2015. Schema mapping illustration using universal examples. Collaboration with U Modena. thesis.
- Max Sumrall, 2015. Path indexing for efficient path query processing in graph databases. Collaboration with Neo Technology, Birkbeck - U London. thesis, open source code.
- Jeroen Peters, 2015. Regular path query evaluation using path indexes. Collaboration with Birkbeck - U London. thesis,
- Simeon van der Steen, 2015. Peer-to-peer search over linked data in the research and education space. Collaboration with the BBC. thesis.
- Evans Boateng Owusu, 2014. Data source synchronization in cloud-based triple stores. Collaboration with Semaku B.V. thesis.
- Wouter van Heeswijk, 2014. Structure preserving graph sampling and methods for partitioning graphs. thesis,
open source code,
- Markus Maier, 2013. Towards a Big Data reference architecture. thesis.
- Chen Cai, 2013.
Design and implementation of a linked open data ontology repository,
with support for ontology comparison. Collaboration with Semmtech B.V. thesis.
- Yannick de Lange, 2013. MapReduce based algorithms for localized bisimulation. thesis,
- Bart Wolff, 2013. A framework for query optimization on value-based RDF indexes. thesis,
open source code, LWDM'15 paper.
- Ahmed Ibrahim, 2012. Containment queries on nested sets. thesis,
- John Roijackers, 2012. Bridging SQL and NoSQL. Collaboration with KlapperCompany B.V. thesis,
- Bas Luksenburg, 2012. Routing information and presentation. Collaboration with ASML N.V. thesis.
- Jelle Hellings, 2011. Bisimulation partitioning and partition maintenance on very large directed acyclic graphs.
thesis, open source code,
- Melle Boersma, 2011. A study of nested-relational joins in mediator-based distributed environments. Collaboration with Triple R IT B.V. thesis.
- Wouter Haffmans, 2011. A study of efficient RDFS entailment in external memory. thesis, open source code,
- Juston Morgan, 2010. Visual language for exploring massive RDF data sets.
- Anneke Huijsmans and Hugo Melchers, 2019. A comparison of static and dynamic graph representations.
- Peter Beck, 2008. Scalable indexing of RDF graphs (REU). CIKM'09 paper.
If you are a student interested in a thesis topic in data intensive systems, please feel free to get in touch.