Cyberattacks, Crime and Defences
This used to be the Hacker's Hut course. Now that cyber-attacks have
become a ''mature'' business there is a need for a new course.
Who gives this course:
- Sandro Etalle (responsible)
- Luca Allodi, (assistant)
- a few guest lectures.
Semester 1, Quartile 2. Course code: 2IMS20
Time and Place
- on Tuesdays, hours 5 and 6 (13.30 -- 15.15), Auditorium 5
- and Thursdays, hours 3 and 4 (10:45 -- 12:30), Auditorium 8
- Lectures are recorded (there are no telelectures).
- Students from Nijmegen have to be enrolled at the TU/e,
and enroll in the cursus, via canvas.tue.nl
NEW: LAB EXERCISE
Students will also participate in a mandatory lab exercise (worth
half a point at the exam) on threat detection. Participants will
operate a real SOC for about 50 minutes, with the goal of detecting and
reporting attacks that will be injected into the system by the
lecturers. To gain the half point at the exam, participants must
report correctly at least one of the injected attacks.
The exercise will be run in groups of max 2 people; each group must have one laptop to participate in the exercise.
There is a written exam at the end of the course.
- There is no test exam. Why? This is a young course,
and there are very few things that change as fast as
cyber-attacks. Therefore, the content of this course
changes literally every year, making it impossible for us to have a test
exam that would be relevant for more than one edition.
- The questions on the written exam are obviously on the whole
program covered by the course, therefore including guest lectures.
Course material and Schedule