Cyberattacks, Crime and Defences
This used to be the Hacker's Hut course. Now that cyber-attacks have
become a ''mature'' business there is a need for a new course.
Who gives this course:
- Sandro Etalle (responsible)
- Luca Allodi, (assistant)
- a few guest lectures.
Semester 1, Quartile 2. Course code: 2IMS20
Time and Place
- on Tuesdays, 13.30 -- 15.15 - Online
- and Thursdays, 08:45 -- 10:30) - Online
Exam (but check with the official source!)
- January 26, 9:00 till 12:00
2020 Special Edition The video lectures of last year are available at
https://intranet.tue.nl/onderwijs/videocollege-tue/ (look for
2IMS20), or via the direct link
- Lectures are recorded (there are no telelectures).
- Students from Nijmegen have to be enrolled at the TU/e,
and enroll in the cursus, via canvas.tue.nl
This year, due to the COVID restrictions, we need to refer partly to the lectures given last year. We have set up an MS TEAMS group. Check CANVAS notification for the code to join the group. Also, we have two kind of lectures (see the lecture schema in the link below).
- UNCHANGED: each of the UNCHANGED lectures is identical to
one of the lectures given last year (the one reported in the
list). Students are supposed to watch the corresponding video
lecture on videocollege.tue.nl before the lecture slot. The
lecture slot will be used for Q&A sessions with the lecturer,
which will be held on TEAMS.
- NEW: these lectures have new slides and a presentation is
going to be through MS TEAMS. This presentation will be recorded.
- The exception is the first lecture: which will be a
combination of NEW (the announcements) and an UNCHANGED lecture.
- The sessions done in TEAMS (thus the new lectures and the Q&A
sessions) are recorded as well. These recordings are available in MS
Stream (google it and you'll find it) and only for approximately two weeks from the recording. DO
NOT FORGET to download them timely. This is not a technical issue
but rather a policy of the TU/e
so I have to comply to this policy as well.
Questions Questions will be answered during the TEAMS
meetings and NOT via email unless there are particularly
good reasons for doing so.
Students will also participate in a mandatory lab exercise (worth
half a point at the exam) on threat detection. Details will
There is a written exam at the end of the course.
- There is no test exam. Why? This is a young course,
and there are very few things that change as fast as
cyber-attacks. Therefore, the content of this course
changes literally every year, making it impossible for us to have a test
exam that would be relevant for more than one edition.
- The questions on the written exam are obviously on the whole
program covered by the course, therefore including guest lectures.
Course material and Schedule